Monday, January 26, 2009

Get Away

It's mid winter, and I'm feeling the strongest urge to get away. Take a trip somewhere. Anywhere. Even if it's only for one day. I'm already thinking about places I want to visit this spring and summer, because many of the places I want to go are really too cold to enjoy this time of year.

My whole life, I've always felt a strong pull toward the sea. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that since I was born, I've spent two weeks out of my year in Florida with family. It seems I love any place where sand touches the ocean. And while I love to hear the fronds of palm trees rustling in the warm breeze, I feel especially drawn to Northern harbors - maybe even more than tropical destinations. I adore old fishing towns; tiny streets crowded with clapboard houses winding toward the sea. Lighthouses standing against crashing waves. Mansions built by seafaring captains. Fresh seafood!

In April I'll be making my annual trek down to Florida. And sometime during February or March, I'll be heading down to Salem, Massachusetts. I was just there in October, but every time I visit I can't wait to go back.

above images of salem, massachusetts from }{enry

streeet view in salem (image here)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Ahhh, I couldn't agree more. I've felt that same pull to the ocean throughout my entire life, and no matter where I've been, the Atlantic ocean, namely the northeast portion of it, has always been my favorite.

Followers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin