Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Fall Movie Must-Haves, part 1


Every year when the weather turns colder and the days start getting shorter, I am consumed by the almost constant urge to fill up on everything fall. My favorite season always seems to come and go in the blink of an eye, and I don't want to miss a second of it.

A big part of my annual autumn binge-fest is my own personal short list of what I consider to be "fall" movies. For me, these are movies I can only watch at this particular time of year, snuggled up with sweatpants, some chunky socks, and zero disturbances. I am sort of a freak when it comes to certain rituals, etc., and for me, watching these movies has become totally ritualistic in my life. They are by no means considered high cinema, and they represent some of the only chick films I allow to pass before my retinas all year. Each of them is near and dear to my heart, partly for nostalgic reasons, but mostly because they're just good movies to match my mood this season.


You've Got Mail
Very fall -- lots of turtlenecks and tights and twinkle lights, with some healthy doses of colored leaves and steaming mugs of coffee sprinkled throughout. If you know me at all, it will be easy to see why this is one of my favorites. I was known to watch the DVD on repeat during my college years. Meg Ryan's brownstone apartment in New York City -- I used to pause, rewind, and slow-motion certain shots just so I could get a closer look at the inside of that place. Also, her wardrobe. And her quirky adorableness. Her character is the owner of a children's bookstore. There is a certain amount of cynicism that runs throughout the film, which is much appreciated.




Oh look, it's me sitting at my laptop, blogging or something of the like, surrounded by books and knickknacks.

Me at work.


I can think of two more fall-movie favorites, but I'll save those for another day.

2 comments:

kater said...

Yesssss, omg.

This is one of my favorite movies ever. I might even like it better than 'Shop Around the Corner', even though classic-movie-philes will be all WTF at me.

I love the soundtrack too! Hate the last dress she wears though.

Kim said...

NOooo! Omg, i've never had a friend who cared anything for this movie - besides myself. Don't worry about movie-philes, I already covered that base by saying "None of these films are to be considered high film..." haha. Ohhh, yay!! :-D

Followers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin