Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Summer Project


I have a problem with chairs:
I love them too much.
I buy chairs when I don't need them,
when I don't have space for them,
when I don't really know what to do with them.
I have some weakness for interesting old chairs.

The good news is, I actually (sort of) need some new dining chairs to go with the dining table I've yet to purchase for my new apartment. I found these vintage Danish-modern chairs on Craigslist earlier this week. I've been combing Craigslist pretty regularly for the past two weeks or so, and when I spotted these a few hours after they were posted, I knew I had to snatch them up immediately or lose them. To give you an idea about these chairs, a set of four like this can sell for anywhere from $100 to an upwards of $400. These four will happily be mine for $10 a piece. :) That's right.

Unfortunately, the upholstery on the chairs I'm getting is kind of dark and tired looking -- it could use some updating (the image above with the nice, bright fabric is from Apartment Therapy). My plan is to get some new fabric to reupholster the seats and backs. I've never reupholstered anything before. Anybody have any tips? This is what I'm going on so far.

2 comments:

kater said...

My mother has reupholstered every chair in our house. I will consult her and let you know!

karyn said...

I share your interest in chairs, you should see my garage. My friends garbage pick chairs for me to refinish!

Followers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin